22 October 2007

Pragmatic approach in learning

If you don't recognize the math in your child's homework, think about how the world has changed since you were in school. The math looks different because the world is different. For instances, the approach of using diagrams or models in solving problem sums is something new to me.

I felt embarrassed when my son asked me to help in a problem that required the use of the model approach. I told my son that I really had no idea in what he was talking about. He replied" Have you forgotten what you have learnt at primary school? Were you paying attention in class?"He was using some of my oft-comments about him on me. But I promised him to find out more about this approach and bring myself up to speed to do problem solving with him. I did that not because I thought I could do a better job than professional tutor. Rather, I was trying to involve myself in his learning activities to encourage him.He has his own tutor in mathematics.

There was a learning point for me in that episode. Advances in science, technology, information processing and communication, combined with the changing workplace, make it necessary for all students to learn more math. The parameters are changing. Basic skills, although important, are no longer enough. New approaches to learning are necessary. Business and industry demand workers who can solve real world problems explain their thinking to others identify and analyze trends from data, and use modern technology.

Instead of worksheets, your child may bring home problems to investigate that are related to real life tasks. These include working out the total cost of grocery shopping mentally. Figuring out the unit cost of items bought. Planning what to buy with a given budget etc.

No comments: