09 October 2007

Teaching a child to read

Essentially language is made up of sounds represented by symbols called the alphabets that are stringed together to form words and sentences. So it is essential to work on the sounds of the letters and relate them to the sounds of the words. This is the foundation of reading.

For someone like my son whose attention span is short, I have to make up stories using alphabets, reading rhymes and singing songs to get him interested. Fortunately, he seemed to enjoy such 'learning' sessions. Also, such sessions enable us to develop a stronger bond.

As my son easily forgets what he have learned, I would cluster words together so that these form a pattern such it will facilitate him in recalling the words e.g. fall, ball, tall etc. I would also play word games with him so that he could make use the words he had learned recently. When we eat out or shop, I would sound out some of the words of the signages, bill boards, menu etc. I would also encourage him to do the same.

With concerted effort and patience, he has made some progress. He is been able to read and spell a little. Although his development lags behind others, I am glad that he is improving.

No comments: